Anyone can act to positively transform the way their community cares for its animals. Learn how you can change attitudes and promote policies that protect the lives of cats in your own community.
Creating Community Change
Alley Cat Allies, the leading advocate for cats in the U.S. and around the world, has been at the forefront of the movement to change outdated systems, beliefs, and policies that do not serve to protect cats. Since 1990 with the care of our first feral cat colony, Alley Cat Allies has fueled a small but powerful revolution in how people think about cats. We witnessed a paradigm shift in our community when we started new, never before offered programs and humane education. We believe most people want to do the right thing, and they just need a little help.
Creating feline-friendly communities is a group effort! We work with individuals, officials, and the community at large to set the foundation for long lasting change that protects cats.
The Need for Community Change
Many people don’t know that many cats and kittens, especially community cats or unweaned, neonatal kittens, don’t have a chance at life in many shelters. No one knows exactly how many cats are killed each year in the U.S. but research reveals that 7 out of 10 cats who enter the nation’s shelter system are killed.
The current shelter and animal control system was built on beliefs and information that is now antiquated. Communities need to work toward embracing new programs and policies that save cats’ lives. You can make a difference.
Ways Alley Cat Allies Works to Create Change in Your Community
- Educate the public about community cats through informative humane education materials and workshops.
- Mobilize animal lovers to unite and spearhead grassroots initiatives to save cats including spaying and neutering, vaccinating, and microchipping.
- Coordinate and connect local cat groups.
- Provide local shelters the training and information they need to adopt lifesaving programs and change their systems.
- Work with local officials to adopt policies or pass laws that protect cats and their caregivers.
Resources to Help YOUR Community Become Feline-Friendly
You have the power to change your community! In fact, you are the strongest advocate for cats where you live. Alley Cat Allies is here to help provide the information and resources you need to get started.
- Advocacy Toolkit—This toolkit will arm you with the basics in citizen lobbying and prepare you to advocate for humane policies for cats.
- Quick Guide to Advocating for Cats—A little overwhelmed? This quick guide offers easy ways you can become an advocate for cats.
- Community Relations Resource Center—Educating others is a big part of being an advocate. Learn how to talk to your community about cats, including ways to troubleshoot conflicts that might arise.
- Transform Your Local Shelter to Save More Cats—Learn how you can help your local shelter adopt lifesaving programs and policies.
- Organize Your Community for Strategic Change for Cats—This is way beyond creating petitions on the internet! Learn how to campaign and organize to effect change to improve cats’ lives.
Community Change In Action
Every day more communities embrace feline-friendly policies for cats. We’re working hard to make sure every cat, in every community is safe and protected. You can change your own community. Find out how we can help.
- Alley Cat Allies Hosts Community Cat Workshop
- Community Cares for San Francisco’s Cats
- Model Program Shows How Communities Can Implement Shelter-Neuter-Return
- Saving Cats, One Innovative Idea at a Time
- Hawaii Threatens to Remove Community Cats