We’re getting the word out! Kittens can be safely spayed or neutered at 2 months old, or as soon as they weigh 2 pounds.
Veterinarians who spay or neutered kittens at 2 pounds (typically 2 months old) report that it is an easier, faster procedure. The patients recover quickly and it is the highest level of prevention of litters. Pediatric spay/neuter produces the most prevention per dollar invested.
We’ve Got The Research to Prove It!
Research shows that kittens spayed or neutered before 12 weeks of age have fewer complications from surgery than those over 12 weeks old. Also, kittens rebound much after after the surgical procedure with less stress than their counterparts over 6 months of age.
Learn more at alleycat.org/SpayNeuter
Organizations that Support Pediatric Spay/Neuter
- Alley Cat Allies
- American Animal Hospital Association
- American Humane
- American Kennel Club
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Feline Practitioners
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians
- Cat Fanciers’ Association
- Humane Alliance
- Humane Society of the United States
- Marian’s Dream