Know What’s Going on in Your Community
There are cats in every community, but how these cats are treated can differ from place to place. Knowing what happens to cats in your community is important, lifesaving information: it can help you advocate for better policies for cats, and help you act quickly when a crisis occurs.
Here’s how you can learn what’s going on in your community with cats:
- Cats and the Law: Finding and Understanding your Laws Most laws about cats are passed at the local level, but state laws can also affect cats. This resource helps you find the laws that impact cats where you live.
- Understanding Your Local Government and Animal Control Your local government can make laws and policies that impact cats, and animal control enforces those laws and policies. Learn how your local government is structured (they aren’t all the same!) so you can effectively advocate for cats.
- Know Your Rights: How to Talk to Local Authorities Learn more about your local authorities, like animal control, and how to interact with them.
- Obtaining Animal Shelter Records: A Guide for Advocates Do you know what happens to cats that enter your local shelter? Request their records so you can find out! You should also visit your local shelter, ask them about their policies regarding community cats, and get to know the administration and staff who work there.
- Connect with fellow cat lovers, especially members of our Feral Friends Network who are local to you. They’ll be able to share information, tips, and special know-how relevant to your unique community.
When you know about what’s going on in your community about cats, you’ll be better able to help protect them. Plus, you’ll be able to dazzle your family and friends with your amazing cat and community knowledge!