Media Relations Specialist
The Media Relations Specialist has responsibility to generate regular, high-quality media coverage of Alley Cat Allies’ initiatives, campaigns, publications, and events, and to assist in messaging and framing. Serving as the primary point of contact for all public and media relations efforts, the Media Relations Specialist will actively monitor the media landscape and participate in crafting and disseminating the broad communications strategies which will advance Alley Cat Allies’ and its objectives. Within the Communications and Publications Division, this position reports to the Director.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all media inquiries; answering all telephone, mail and e-mail requests and providing information in a timely and professional manner. Monitor incoming requests from the media 24/7 and be available to handle breaking news issues as necessary.
- Maintain relationships with the media, draft press releases, pitch letters and other written materials, and coordinate long-lead media pitches with other departments to influence audiences about Alley Cat Allies and the humane treatment of cats.
- Proactively identify outlets/reporters to pitch new stories and aggressively seek media coverage for ACA news and events.
- Actively monitor all media (print, TV, radio, Internet), distributing and filing stories internally and responding to media when appropriate;
- Create and maintain media databases, news clip reports, monthly media coverage reports, and all media files for internal accessibility.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years public or media relations and communications experience
- Knowledge of and experience with media monitoring software/services, press release distribution services (national and state), online media databases (Vocus/Cision) and preparing pitch lists
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information from a variety of sources and present to a lay audience in a compelling way.
- Involvement in or overall knowledge of animal rescue or animal rights, especially related to the issues facing cats.
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Work, Excel and other software programs.
- Ability to work in a cat-friendly office environment and engage with cats is preferred.
Alley Cat Allies offers competitive salary, medical and dental health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time. To apply, send a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and applicable writing sample to email@example.com. Alley Cat Allies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls, please.