Director of Community Programs and Policy
The Director of Community Programs and Policy works closely with leadership to develop and execute a strategic plan and annual business plans for programs that support the mission, campaigns and goals of Alley Cat Allies. The Director provides leadership and direction to the team which is dedicated to front-line response to requests for assistance and in developing and expanding outreach activities which promote life-saving programs for cats and our mission.
Within the Programs and Policy Division, this position reports to the Director of Operations and has supervisory responsibility for direct reports in program management, law, policy and research.
- Design, implement and maintain a structure for Community Programs, policy and outreach that supports the strategies and goals of the department and the organization.
- Develop, grow and manager Alley Cat Allies’ grassroots network and engage and support volunteers; may provide advocacy training as needed.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Alley Cat Allies’ proactive policy and advocacy agenda.
- Advise senior leadership on trends in inquiries and cases that influence decisions about organization priorities.
- Partner with Communications to easy-to-use step-by-step instructions and “tools” to empower local constituents to achieve the same results as Alley Cat Allies in local situations.
- Oversee and help carry out research and publishing of research in ACA publications and peer-reviewed journals.
- Expand and enhance existing Alley Cat Allies’ programs to increase their impacts in the communities served.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years senior management or executive experience in operations and/or programs work in a mid-size or larger animal rescue or rights organization.
- Familiarity with feral cat issues and opposition.
- Demonstrated excellent creative problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Work, Excel and other software programs.
- Proven experience inspiring, motivating and supervising professional and senior-level development staff.
- Ability to work in a cat-friendly office environment and engage with cats is preferred.
Alley Cat Allies offers competitive salary, medical and dental health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time. To apply, please send resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and applicable writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alley Cat Allies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls, please.