Join the movement to protect cats
Sign up for our mailing list and learn how you can help us win the battle against unnecessary killing of cats. Sign up now »
Director of Publications
The Director of Publications oversees the day-to-day operations, overall strategy, and departmental goals of the Publications/Communications department, including design and print production, messaging & framing, management of publications processes from concept to completion and promotion, website redesign and management, action center, media & public relations, advertising, social media and other forms of electronic communications, and internal communications. The position is responsible for managing staff and projects, setting priorities, implementing success measures, and achieving defined mission and strategic goals. This position reports to the Director of Operations and has supervisory responsibility for direct reports.
- Manage the Publications/Communications team; provide mentoring, guidance, professional development and review of work. Foster a collaborative team spirit.
- Develop, monitor, and manage the Communications department’s annual operating plan, metrics, and budget.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance on all communications issues.
- Develop, implement and supervise an integrated communications plan to advance mission across all platforms.
- Act as an Alley Cat Allies’ spokesperson when appropriate.
- Create an internal communications channels and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to ensure consistent brand messaging among the staff and board.
- Create and manage organizational messaging and ensure consistency and implementation across all communication channels.
- Oversee critical website redesign to meet all department needs, and play key role in implementation of all major campaigns including National Feral Cat Day, and targeted shelter reform initiative.
- Support organizational partners with communications tools, on as-needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 6 years of related experience in communication strategy, design and print production, management of publications processes from concept to completion and promotion, advertising, website redesign and management, and supervising teams of employees.
- Non-profit and/or small organization management experience required.
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with new media – i.e. blogs, podcasts, social networks, video – and an understanding of when and how to incorporate these into communications campaigns
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to convey information clearly
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player, while recognizing the nature of a small nonprofit
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative
- Highly proficient technical skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of common office software programs such as Word and Excel as well as a proven proficiency to quickly adopt other software programs as needed.
- Animal-centric experience preferred. Knowledge of feral cat issues a plus.
- Previous advocacy work strongly preferred.
- Ability to work in a cat-friendly office environment and engage with cats is preferred.
Alley Cat Allies offers competitive salary, medical and dental health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time. To apply, please send resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and applicable writing sample, to email@example.com. Alley Cat Allies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls, please.