Senior Development Copywriter
The Senior Development Copywriter will serve as the principal writer for a wide variety of print and electronic fundraising campaigns including direct mail (acquisition and house file appeals); electronic appeals; sustainer, mid-level, and major gift solicitations/proposals; and fundraising brochures (and capital campaign-related promotional materials). Reports to the Director of Development while collaborating with Alley Cat Allies’ Communications team and leadership. The position is charged with writing effective fundraising copy that is consistent with established best practices and the organization’s messaging
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of professional experience in non-profit direct mail copywriting
- At least two years of experience creating copy for: print and online fundraising appeals, print and email newsletters, banner or other paid online media ads, campaign web site fundraising, and scripts or interactive and viral marketing pieces
- Proven ability to develop copy tailored to distinct campaign audiences based upon demographics, previous activity history, and nature of relationship between constituent and client organization (e.g. donor, lapsed donor, major donor, or advocacy activity history).
- Ability to position copy in client’s voice and be sensitive to appropriateness of message based on client’s issues
- Ability to evaluate donor feedback, survey data, reports and other issue research, and evolve messaging strategy accordingly
- Thorough understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the organization and specific projects
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word required
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience and voice of the piece
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining good relations with colleagues
- Ability to quickly and effectively gather information by means of interviews, database research, etc.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Ability to develop, package, and produce editorial content for effective presentation in publications, web sites, and other media
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline
- Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Commitment to the highest standards of customer service and professionalism
Writes and edits all development writing projects, as assigned, from inception through delivery, and periodically performs other duties as assigned or requested.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include three writing samples, your current or most recent salary information, and indicate where you heard about this job.