Senior News Editor/Writer
The Senior News Editor/Writer is responsible for managing and writing content for Alley Cat Allies’ weekly online news cycle in support of the organization’s mission of protecting and improving the lives of cats. The news cycle includes, but isn’t limited to, news and feature articles, fundraising appeals, campaign updates, and other e-communications as needed.
The Senior News Editor/Writer is not only responsible for writing several stories a week; the position also leads Alley Cat Allies’ online storytelling planning and execution. The position works with staff and freelancers to craft the best means of telling stories across our online platforms. The position produces and/or writes a wide range of stories, from breaking news to major investigative projects. The Senior News Editor/Writer works closely with the Web Producer.
- The Senior News Editor/Writer is primarily responsible for contributing original content in the weekly news cycle, including:
- Articles and campaign content for website
- E-news and quarterly print newsletter articles
- Investigative and long-term projects
- Fundraising appeals
- Assign and edit content from staff and freelancers to comply with style and messaging
- Provide substantive editing and rewriting and/or proofreading as needed
- Oversee all aspects of weekly online news cycle; support department directors in managing workflow and approvals
- Produce weekly, monthly and annual production schedules, updating them as needed
- Communicate regularly with all internal "teams" (development, programs, campaigns, art, editorial)
- Run weekly or bi-weekly production meetings
- Maintain content management process • Assign writing projects to other internal writers; commission writers as needed
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience as a professional writer/editor, preferably as a publications manager
- Demonstrated experience as a writer who can work with quantitative material, conceptualize it at a high level, and write it for a broad audience.
- Familiarity with new media – i.e. blogs, social networks – and an understanding of when and how to incorporate these into communications campaigns
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects, and to meet tight deadlines
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player, while recognizing the nature of a small nonprofit
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Word, Excel and other software programs as indicated
- Previous nonprofit experience; animal-centric experience a plus
- Knowledge of feral cat issues a plus
- Must be able to see and read from a computer screen
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely via telephone and in person
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include three writing samples, your current or most recent salary information, and indicate where you heard about this job.