Media Relations Director
The Media Relations Director is responsible for advancing Alley Cat Allies’ goals by increasing public awareness and understanding of Alley Cat Allies’ issues through media coverage. The Media Relations Director is a senior member of the Communications team who will lead on developing and implementing the organization’s media strategy. In addition to forming and managing relationships with key reporters covering relevant issues of importance to Alley Cat Allies, the Media Relations Director will track and fulfill media inquiries and manage proactive outreach in support of Alley Cat Allies’ goals. The position will work closely with Alley Cat Allies’ leadership, including the president and executive director.
The ideal candidate has experience with both traditional and new media. The candidate must have relationships with media in key outlets and the demonstrated capacity to build new and productive relationships on an ongoing basis. This individual can juggle multiple organizational needs and meet deadlines for a broad range of projects/campaigns. The role requires accuracy, attention to detail, good judgment, creative thinking, a proven ability to write and place opinion pieces, and a fresh approach to creating news. Exceptional writing skills are essential for this position.
The Media Relations Director plays a key role in influencing audiences about Alley Cat Allies and the humane treatment of cats. The position reports to the Communications Director.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Dedication to the mission of Alley Cat Allies
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years of media relations experience with a proven record of performance, preferably in an issue-advocacy context
- Demonstrated success in working with print, broadcast, and online media
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic writing and radio/TV broadcast principles
- Thorough knowledge of traditional and new media cycles and processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of social and digital media platforms and techniques
- Proven track record of placing stories in media
- Experience with media monitoring software/services, press release distribution services (national and state), online media databases (Vocus), and preparing pitch lists
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills plus strong storytelling skills including experience with video
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with daily deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with staff on many levels of the organization
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information from a variety of sources and present to a lay audience in a compelling way
- Ability to think strategically about promoting the mission and its issues
- Previous non-profit, animal-centric experience preferred
- Must be able to work around cats and dogs
- Able to travel
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include three writing samples, your current or most recent salary information, and indicate where you heard about this job.