Front Office Associate
The Front Office Associate is the general public’s first impression of Alley Cat Allies. The Front Office Associate is expected to have the switchboard open and operating promptly at 10:00 a.m. and throughout the day until 6:00 p.m., working with relief coverage to determine appropriate times for lunch and breaks. The position provides general office support with a variety of clerical activities and related tasks. These tasks include, but are not limited to, answering incoming calls and directing them to the appropriate parties, greeting visitors, mail distribution, handling merchandise orders, requisition and inventory of office supplies, and general office and administrative duties as assigned.
This position will be performed in our Bethesda, MD office.
- Answer incoming telephone calls promptly and courteously. Respond to frequently asked questions with patience, respect, and diplomacy;
- Provide back-up assistance to National Cat Help Desk for more routine questions, including assisting with return calls;
- Transfer more specific or complex telephone calls to the appropriate person in an efficient manner;
- Greet and screen incoming visitors in a professional manner and promptly notify appropriate person of their arrival;
- Open and distribute incoming mail on a daily basis with the Office Manager or other assigned staff member. Prepare outgoing mail using postage meter and monitor postage account and reload postage on meter as needed;
- Operate standard office equipment including: telephone system, facsimile machine, photocopy machine, postage meter, calculator, computer/printer;
- Coordinate the pick-up and delivery of express mail services;
- Maintain merchandise inventory, preparing and fulfilling orders, tracking inventory and generating reports;
- Monitor inventory of office supplies and order new supplies as needed or requested;
- Monitor on-line faxes and direct incoming documents to appropriate person;
- Assist with mass mailings;
- Provide cross-training of other staff members and create documentation of all duties and processes, to ensure adequate coverage in case of absence;
- Coordinate with staff for front desk coverage during lunch breaks; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year relevant experience
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Customer service driven
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to convey information clearly
- The ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player, while recognizing the nature of a small nonprofit
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative
- Knowledge of feral cat issues a plus
- Previous non-profit, animal-centric experience preferred
- Must be able to lift and hold 30lbs.
- Must be able to see and read from a computer screen
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely via telephone and in person
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your current or most recent salary information, and indicate where you heard about this job.