Grassroots Organizing Director
Alley Cat Allies is seeking an experienced community organizer and passionate animal rights advocate for the role of Grassroots Organizing Director. Working closely with organization leadership, the Grassroots Organizing Director will manage the design, launch, and coordination of both long-term and short-term grassroots organizing campaigns.
The Grassroots Organizing Director will provide strategic direction for Alley Cat Allies’ local community response programs, and will create and implement strategies and tactics to mobilize members of the public in public hearings, actions, discussions, and demonstrations.
Key activities include the development of relationships with key local opinion and community leaders to facilitate and build local activism, and provide campaign support as needed. This will include contacting targeted officials and agencies or groups, gathering information, networking with on-the-ground-activists and mobilizing community support as needed.
Demonstrated experience in grassroots organizing and in identifying and mobilizing local activists are essential to the success of the Grassroots Organizing Director. Critical thinking, compassion, and discretion are critical skills required for this position, as is the ability to negotiate directly with a variety of constituents in potentially emotionally charged situations. The ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment, and to advocate effectively for cats and their caregivers, are crucial.
This position operates out of our Bethesda, Maryland office.
Requirement & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum three years of management experience in grassroots organizing, political or issue campaign.
- Active involvement in, or knowledge of, animal rescue or animal rights, especially related to the issues facing cats a plus.
- Proven ability to balance multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior public speaking, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- The ability to travel frequently.
- Must be able to work around cats and dogs.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of conditions.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds unassisted.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your current or most recent salary information and indicate where you heard about this job.