Major Gifts Officer
Alley Cat Allies is the only national advocacy organization dedicated to the protection and humane treatment of cats. For more than two decades, Alley Cat Allies has led the movement to protect cats’ lives in America, educating and mobilizing 250,000 supporters nationwide. An engine for social change, Alley Cat Allies was the first organization to introduce and advocate for humane methods of feral cat care in the American animal protection community. From a headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland, Alley Cat Allies’ staff of nearly 30 people provides the national voice for cats and the millions of Americans that value cats’ lives.
About the Position
In keeping with our legacy of grassroots change, Alley Cat Allies seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial Major Gifts Officer, to spearhead and develop our new major gifts program.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer will use an extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of nonprofit fundraising to assess the current state of the major gifts fundraising program. The Major Gifts Officer will recommend and implement processes for building out the program, as well as guiding the development of an efficient donor/prospect record-keeping system to support the program in the future.
At the same time, the Major Gifts Officer will identify, cultivate, and nurture beneficial donor relationships with established and potential financial supporters, seeking and securing gifts. Through personal visits, special events, and the development of motivational materials, the Major Gifts Officer will generate an awareness of the organization and its programs.
Other key duties will include developing and managing a system of gift acknowledgement, providing detailed statistical reports, preparing regular financial reports, and ensuring compliance with all rules and regulations governing charitable solicitations.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a non-profit environment, with a track record of success in major gifts.
- Significant, demonstrable, and successful experience performing personal solicitations of gifts in excess of $5,000 is required.
- A strong sense of fundraising ethics and practices, and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
- Demonstrated experience with planning and managing budgets.
- Knowledge and understanding of the animal rights movement, especially issues facing cats, and the ability to discuss issues of concern to donors in a respectful and empathic manner.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and written communications.
- The ability to develop and execute long-range plans.
- A highly energetic and enthusiastic personality, with excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and time-management skills.
- The ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- The willingness and ability to represent Alley Cat Allies professionally at a variety of events. Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Professional Suite and databases (Raisers Edge preferred).
- Must be able to see and read from a computer screen.
- An ability to communicate clearly and articulately via telephone, in person, and in writing.
- The ability to travel frequently to meet with donors and prospects.
- The ability to stand for long periods of time at events.
- Must be able to work around cats and dogs.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include three relevant writing samples, your current or most recent salary information, and indicate where you heard about this job.