Join the movement to protect cats

Sign up for our mailing list and learn how you can help us win the battle against unnecessary killing of cats. Sign up now »

How Old Is That Kitten?
Kitten Progression: One Week Old

When kittens are first born, they are helpless—they cannot see, hear, keep themselves warm, or eliminate waste on their own. They fit in the palm of your hand, and weigh 3-5 ounces. Kittens like Darling, and his siblings are completely dependent on their mother (or you!) for protection, warmth, and nutrition. Even so, these kittens can purr and make distress calls. They spend 90% of their time sleeping and the other 10% eating.

One Day Old

At one day old, the kittens cannot stand. Their eyes are closed and their ears are folded. Kittens this young require round-the-clock care and bottle feeding every two hours.

Denby is just a day old.

Three Days Old

Notice that the kittens’ ears are just beginning to unfold, though their eyes remain closed. Their sense of smell, hearing, and taste are slowly starting to develop.

Tweed is only three days old. His ears are starting to unfold.

Six Days Old

After almost a week, the kittens begin to wiggle around on their own a little bit and their eyes start to open.

Cordory at six days old. His eyes are starting to open.

One Week Old

One week in this world, Darling, Denby, Corduroy, Tweed and Wembley are becoming more aware of their surroundings. Their eyes are almost completely open, though their eyesight is still unfocused. They have doubled their birth weight to around eight ounces.

Wembley is one week old!

Next: Two Weeks Old »