Media Relations Coordinator
The Media Relations Coordinator will serve as the primary point of contact for all public and media relations efforts. He/she will actively monitor the media landscape and participate in crafting and disseminating the broad communications strategies which will advance Alley Cat Allies’ and its objectives. By maintaining relationships with the media, drafting press releases, pitch letters, and other written materials, and coordinating long-lead media pitches with other departments, the Media Relations Coordinator plays a key role in influencing audiences about Alley Cat Allies and the humane treatment of cats.
This position will be performed in our Bethesda, MD office.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all media inquiries. Monitor incoming requests from the media be available to handle breaking news issues as necessary;
- Proactively identify outlets/reporters to pitch news stories and aggressively seek media coverage for ACA news;
- Cultivate, nurture, and maintain relationships with key media;
- Actively monitor all media (print, TV, radio, Internet), identifying stories of interest to the organization’s mission;
- Work closely with other departments to help craft communications strategy, coordinate long-lead media pitching and maintain consistency in organizational messaging;
- Help create, maintain, and disseminate all press materials;
- Set up interviews with President and Communications Manager as necessary;
- Work closely with outside media consultant and support on all projects as necessary;
- Assist in the promotion of Alley Cat Allies events.
- Draft press releases, pitch letters, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, and other press materials as needed;
- Draft speaking points and prepare President and other staff for interviews. Attend high-profile interviews with President and other staff in order to provide assistance and follow-up as needed.
- Maintain interview log, media database, and internal media files
- Document all work and provide monthly media coverage reports and project summary reports for internal accessibility;
- Coordinate mailings as necessary.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- 3+ years of media relations experience;
- Existing contacts with mainstream and new-media;
- Skilled at pitching to the media, with a proven track record of placing stories;
- Knowledge of and experience with media monitoring software/services, press release distribution services (national and state), online media databases (Vocus) and preparing pitch lists;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information from a variety of sources and present to a lay audience in a compelling way;
- Ability to think strategically about promoting the mission and its issues;
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities and projects;
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player, while recognizing the nature of a small nonprofit;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative;
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Word, Excel and other software programs as indicated;
- Knowledge of feral cat issues a plus;
- Previous non-profit, animal-centric experience preferred.
- Must be able to see and read from a computer screen
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely via telephone and in person
- Must be able to work around cats and dogs
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include your current or most recent salary information and indicate where you heard about this job.
For more information about Alley Cat Allies, visit our website at: www.alleycat.org/JobOpps